M1 Garand Gas Trap Conversion
Our reproduction fits on a standard M1 barrel with no modifications.
Utilizes the standard gas system, the back half of this conversion is made from a USGI gas cylinder. Uses all standard M1 parts including the stock, barrel, handguard, op-rod etc.
- Remove original gas nut, lock, cylinder, and operating rod.
- Clean and lubricate the threads and splines on the barrel.
- Inspect the spline on the TOP of the barrel for damage or small dents, if you find small dents or damage, you may need a small file to remove them. You can use the front sight as a gauge, if it fits into the spline, you do not need to remove any material.
- Slide the new gas trap cylinder over the barrel until it stops. It is now against the threads on the barrel.
- Screw the cylinder onto the threads clockwise until the muzzle is approximately flush with the end of the cylinder.
- NOTE: One turn forward or backward will not affect operation
- Looking down through the groove for the front sight, you should be able to see the top spline on the barrel. The front sight will fit into this spline. Insert the front sight and wiggle the entire cylinder assembly until the front sight fits into this spline.
- A small plastic hammer can be used to lightly tap the front sight down into place.
- Insert the screw into the cylinder/front sight and tighten. It will slightly wedge the front sight down into the spline. This is what keeps the cylinder from turning on the barrel.
- You can now re-install the operating rod.
*NOTE: There may be some play in the front handguard.
*NOTE: There is a small screw already installed in the cylinder from the factory, DO NOT attempt removal of this screw.